Guide to Melbourne Breast Augmentation Prices – Boob Job Costs
If you are thinking about Breast Augmentation Surgery or a Boob Job, chances are you have researched the cost of Surgery and discovered that there is a large price variance between one doctor and the next surgeon. This can be frustrating and can leave you feeling confused about why the cost varies so much. Like a lot of plastic surgery there is a major price variance when it comes to getting a Boob Job. This is because there are multiple factors to take into account including your surgeon’s qualifications, the technique they use and where your surgery is carried out. Also whether Medicare or your Private Health Fund will cover ANY of your costs.
2020 Breast Augmentation prices in Melbourne range from
- $7,000 – $9,000 for a low-cost or cheap Breast Augmentation surgery
- $9,000 – $12,000 for mid-range Breast Augmentation surgery
- $12,000 and above for premier Breast Augmentation surgery
Why does the cost of Breast Augmentation vary?
The cost of Breast Augmentation depends on who, what, where, when, why, how and you (complexity of your surgery).
Plastic Surgery Prices for Breast Enlargement and Breast Enhancement Surgery will vary depending on seven important factors:
1. WHO is performing your surgery?
- Probably the most important variable that you need to consider is who your surgeon is going to be and what their experience is, what training they have received and what their qualifications are. Furthermore, we suggest you ask how many Breast Augmentation procedures have they have carried out and if they can provide you with testimonials or photos of their work.
2. WHAT will be performed? and what is included in the price?
- There are simple Breast Augmentations (above the muscle) and there are more complex surgeries like dual plane or under the muscle.
- Is the quote you’ve received all-inclusive? Is it transparent? Does it breakdown the price? You need to know WHAT is included in the price otherwise, you can get hit with unexpected costs post-surgery. Prices that might not be included in your quote include but aren’t limited to;
– Facility fees.
– Anaesthetic costs.
– Recovery aids.
– Post-surgery follow-ups.
3. WHERE will your surgery be performed?
- Your surgery could be performed in an accredited private hospital, a big public hospital, a clinic backroom or a day surgery centre –
- This is critically important for the risks of sterility, surgeon competency and emergency back up plan.
- Many cheap unqualified doctors are unable to get accreditation to operate in proper hospitals. Lack of a sterile operating environment causes more implant complications.
- Some ‘pop up clinics’ only use Twilight or Local Anaesthesia as they are unable to offer General Anaesthesia
4. WHEN will your breast enlargement be performed?
- Planning your surgery several months in advance whether by choice or surgeon availability can be great. It can give you time to prepare, save or pay off some of your surgery costs before you even have your surgery. However, you need to be aware that prices can change during this time, and you could end up paying more than you were originally quoted. With this in mind, we highly recommend speaking with our Patient Care Team about rebate criteria for medically-indicated breast surgery and rapidly-changing hospital fees.
5. WHY are you are having the procedure?
- Are you having Breast Augmentation surgery for medically-indicated reasons, or is your surgery purely for cosmetic reasons?
If you are having surgery for medically-indicated reasons it could include congenital defects such as correction of tuberous breasts or severely asymmetric breasts. This could result in additional costs as your surgery might be more complex and require more planning or surgery time. A Medicare rebate could also be available.
6. HOW long will your surgery take, in theatre?
- The length of your surgery often depends on the complexity of the procedure you’ve chosen, which brings us to the final point.
- Newer surgeons take longer which costs you more in theatre time, anaesthetist time and is also riskier.
7. YOU – Complexity
- How complex your procedure is can vary drastically. Your overall health, condition of your skin and existing proportions can all impact on the price of your Breast Augmentation surgery.
- Is it a straight-forward procedure? Or a complex revision, are you only having an implant augmentation or are you having a breast lift too?
- The level of complexity will impact on the level of planning required. If your surgery is more complicated you want to go with a surgeon that has more qualifications and expertise to achieve your desired result.
- The type of implant you choose also impacts on the cost. Taking into account the manufacturing processes, brand, type, style and content or fill quality. Implants can cost up to $2800 for a pair. This is just the implant cost and does not include hospital and surgery costs or post-surgery care.
Animated Surgery – Breast Augmentation using Silicone Implants
Average price ranges for Breast Augmentation Surgery in Melbourne
Breast Augmentation in Melbourne Australia can range from around $7,000 to $15,000+. This can be broken down into 3 basic price ranges;
Low-cost Breast Augmentation surgery – ranging from around $7,000 to $9,000
Surgery performed in the low-cost price range are usually completed by a GP or doctor. Someone that does not have RACS recognition (compared to an accredited and qualified Plastic Surgeon.)
While a Low-cost quick and simple Boob Job price range might seem appealing it can carry a lot of unnecessary risks;
- Usually offered by a “Pop-up clinic” with doctors that do not own the clinic and may not be around for follow up in the longer term (many have been deregistered later)
- Usually performed in a backroom clinic on-site or a day surgery – not performed in an accredited hospital where you can stay overnight and have back-up in case of emergency
- Can use “twilight” or “awake” Local Anaesthetic instead of proper General Anaesthetic in a hospital
- This price range can also have a lot of “Bait and switch” hidden out-of-pocket costs – extras like a keller funnel, charging for a “more difficult operation”
- Procedures are not customised to the patient or suitable longer-term – typically an “above the muscle” placement which is quicker and easier to perform
- Cheaper/inferior breast implants are being used – not using Motiva for example
Going for the lower price point option might be extremely appealing for the obvious reason that you believe you can get what you want for a low price. If you are leaning towards this low price point we strongly recommend you watch the ABC FOUR CORNERS ‘Beauty’s New Normal’ before deciding.* NOTE; watch the whole 45minute video, however 14 minutes in is when the focus turns to cheap Boob Job clinics and back-room operations in Australia.
Mid-range Breast Augmentation surgery – ranging between $9,000 to $12,000.
- Mid-range surgery will likely include the following;
- A genuine but less experienced FRACS Plastic Surgeon – make sure you check their surgeon qualifications & experience
- Breast implant quality can vary at this price point be sure the implant is reputable – Such as Mentor or Motiva Breast Implants
- Your surgery may be performed in a day surgery backroom or hospital day case – probably not an overnight stay
- If your Surgeon is not performing within a hospital setting, make sure to ask if they are a qualified Plastic Surgeon and if they have hospital admitting rights if something should not go to plan.
Premier Breast Augmentation surgery – costs range from $12,000 TO $15,000+
- Premium Breast Augmentation surgery will likely include:
- Surgery performed by a fully qualified, breast expert and experienced Specialist Plastic Surgeon
- You can expect a procedure in the Premium surgery price point to be fully customised. Including but not limited to;
- Best Quality, reputable breast implants – premium Motiva Implants or Mentor implant
- Implant size and Implant placement
- Smaller Incision size – using Keller Funnel technique
- Extra patient safety protocols.
- General Anaesthetic.
- Overnight hospital stay in a boutique hospital known for patient care (for observation and comfort).
- You will also receive post-operative garments and ongoing follow-up care.
Download the Breast Augmentation Surgery – Boob Job guide!
What is included in a Quote for Breast Augmentation Surgery?
As part of your financial informed consent, your Breast Augmentation Quote may include fees and costs such as
- Your Surgeon’s Fee
- Assistant’s Fee
- Anaesthetists Fee
- Surgical Theatre Fee
- Hospital Room Fee – for staying in hospital – 1 or more nights
- Your Breast Implants
- Surgical Extras like a Pain block, Extra Medications etc
- Patient Extras Provided – Post-op Garments, Scar Treatments, After Care etc
Not all quotes are transparent. In other words, not everything is being covered. You could incur extra costs for things like;
- Hospital or day room fees
- Post-operative care
- Surgery garments
- Scar treatments and more
Avoid being hit with unexpected costs post-surgery by making sure you review your price estimate and ask your surgeon any questions to get clarification. At Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery, we strive to be transparent with all our clients. Our quotes are itemised so, you know exactly what you are paying for.
Will Medicare or Private Health Insurance cover your Breast Augmentation Surgery?
It is UNLIKELY to be covered as a Boob Job is purely cosmetic surgery, but some breast augmentation surgery may be covered for congenital defects such as tuberous breasts, asymmetry or reconstruction.
Consult your surgeon to find out if you will be covered by Medicare or as an insured or self-funded patient.
For more information about whether your surgery is eligible for a rebate – Download Medicare and Health Insurance Guide!
Funding Options for Your Breast Augmentation / Boob Job Surgery
It is important to find out
- Whether your surgery will be covered by Medicare – Are you eligible and meet the criteria? (probably not)
- Whether your Private Health Insurer will contribute to the surgery and if you have the correct level of Private Health Cover (unlikely for a BA)
- If your Superannuation Fund may pay for your surgery (unlikely for a BA)
- If you need a Payment Plan from a medical finance company
Choosing a qualified Breast Augmentation Surgeon
- It’s important to remember that all cosmetic surgery is invasive and has an element of risk.
- Surgery should always be planned, customised and performed by an expert. This reduces risks and needs for revision surgery.
- Everyone is different and every surgery will be different. Never accept a one-size-fits-all approach.
- For a successful, long-lasting result, a customised procedure is essential.
While the lower price point options may seem appealing you need to make sure you research extensively and not just ask questions but also get the answers you need before you choose your surgeon.
With breast implant surgery especially, it’s important not to take short cuts as it can end up costing you more, not just more financially but also physically and emotionally.
If you are interested in Breast Augmentation and would like to know an exact cost, call 1300 264 811, talk to one of our Patient Care Coordinators or alternatively you can fill out the enquiry form below and we will contact you!