Guide to Melbourne Breast Augmentation Prices – Costs
If you are thinking about Breast Augmentation Mammoplasty, chances are you have researched the cost of surgery and discovered a large price variance between surgeons. This can be frustrating and leave you feeling confused about why the cost varies so much. As with many cosmetic procedures, there is a considerable price variance when it comes to undergoing breast augmentation mammoplasty.
This is because there are multiple factors to consider, including your surgeon’s qualifications, the technique they use and where your surgery is carried out. Also, explore whether Medicare or your Private Health Fund will cover any of your costs.
Download Our Breast Augmentation Surgery Guide!
2023 Breast Augmentation Prices in Melbourne Can Range From:
- $8,000 – $10,000 for a simple breast augmentation surgery
- $10,000 – $14,500 for mid-range breast augmentation surgery
- $15,000 and above for extensive breast augmentation surgery
Why Does the Cost of Breast Augmentation Vary?
The cost of breast augmentation depends on the complexity of your surgery.
Plastic Surgery Prices for breast augmentation mammoplasty will typically depend on seven essential factors:
1. WHO is performing your surgery?
- Who your surgeon is going to be, and what is their experience? What training have they received, and what are their qualifications?
- Furthermore, always enquire about how many breast augmentation procedures they have carried out and if they can provide you with testimonials or photos of their work.
2. WHAT will be performed and is included in the price?
- There is simple breast augmentation (above the muscle), and there are more complex surgeries like a dual plane or under-the-muscle placement.
- Is the quote you’ve received all-inclusive? Is it transparent? Does it break down the price?
- You need to know WHAT is included in the price; otherwise, you can get hit with unexpected costs post-surgery.
- Prices that might not be included in your quote include but aren’t limited to;
– Facility fees
– Anaesthetic costs
– Recovery aids
– Post-surgery follow-ups
3. WHERE will your surgery be performed?
- Your surgery could be performed in an accredited private hospital, a public hospital, a clinic backroom, or a day surgery centre.
- A quality surgical theatre is critically important for the risks of sterility, surgeon competency and emergency backup plan..
- Some clinics only use twilight or local anaesthesia as they are unable to offer general anaesthesia with an anaesthetist.
4. WHEN will your surgery be performed?
- Planning your surgery several months in advance, whether by choice or surgeon availability, can give you time to prepare, save, or pay off some of your surgery costs before you even have your procedure. However, you need to be aware that prices can change during this time, and you could pay more than you were originally quoted.
- With this in mind, speak with our Patient Care Team about rebate criteria for medically indicated breast surgery and changing hospital fees.
5. WHY are you having the procedure?
- Are you having Breast Augmentation surgery for medically indicated reasons, or is your surgery purely for cosmetic reasons?
- If you are having surgery for medically indicated reasons, it could include congenital defects, such as correction of tuberous breasts or severely asymmetric breasts. This could result in additional costs as your surgery might be more complex and require more planning or surgery time. A Medicare rebate could also be available.
6. HOW long will your surgery take, in theatre?
- The length of your surgery often depends on the complexity of the procedure you’ve chosen, which brings us to the final point.
7. YOU & YOUR ANATOMY – Complexity of Surgery
- How complex your procedure is can vary drastically. Your overall health, the condition of your skin and existing proportions can all impact the price of your breast augmentation surgery.
- Is it a straightforward procedure? Or a complex revision? Are you only having an implant augmentation, or are you having a breast lift, too?
- The level of complexity will impact on the level of planning required. If your surgery is more complicated, consider a surgeon that has more qualifications and expertise.
- The type of implant you choose also impacts the cost. Taking into account the manufacturing processes, brand, type, style and content or fill quality. For example, implants can cost up to $2800 for a pair. This is just the implant cost and does not include hospital and surgery costs or post-surgery care.
What is Included in a Quote for Breast Augmentation Surgery?
As part of your financial informed consent, your breast augmentation quote may include fees and costs such as
- Surgeon’s Fee
- Assistant’s Fee
- Anaesthetists Fee
- Surgical Theatre Fee
- Hospital Room Fee – for staying in hospital – 1 or more nights
- Your Breast Implants
- Surgical Extras like a Pain block, Extra Medications etc
- Patient Extras Provided – Post-op Garments, Scar Treatments, After Care etc
Not all quotes are transparent. In other words, not everything is being covered. You could incur extra costs for elements like:
- Hospital or day room fees
- Post-operative care
- Surgery garments
- Scar treatments and more
Avoid being hit with unexpected costs post-surgery by reviewing your price estimate and asking your surgeon any questions to get clarification.
At Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery, we strive to be transparent with all our clients. Our quotes are itemised so, you know exactly what you are paying for.
Will Medicare or Private Health Insurance Cover Your Breast Augmentation Surgery?
It is UNLIKELY to be covered as the procedure is purely cosmetic surgery, but some breast augmentation surgery may be covered for congenital defects such as tuberous breasts, asymmetry or reconstruction.
Consult your surgeon to find out if you will be covered by Medicare or as an insured or self-funded patient.
Choosing a Qualified Breast Augmentation Surgeon
- It’s important to remember that all cosmetic surgery is invasive and has an element of risk.
- Surgery should always be planned, customised and performed by an expert. This reduces risks and needs for revision surgery.
- Everyone is different, and every surgery will be different. Never accept a one-size-fits-all approach.
- For a successful, long-lasting result, a customised procedure is essential.
,Make sure you research extensively and not just ask questions but also get the answers you need before you choose your surgeon.
If you are interested in Breast Augmentation and would like to know an exact cost, call 1300 599 990, talk to one of our Patient Care Coordinators or alternatively you can fill out the enquiry form below, and we will contact you!
About Dr Craig Rubinstein
Dr Craig Rubinstein FRACS (Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons) is an experienced Melbourne Specialist Plastic Surgeon for breast and abdominoplasty surgery.
Dr Rubinstein offers women personalised abdominoplasty surgery and all forms of cosmetic breast surgery.
BOOK A CONSULTATION 1300 599 990
Next Steps in Your Surgical Journey
Want more information about your Procedure?
- Download a Free Procedure Guide on your chosen surgery.
- Visit the FAQs and read patient reviews to learn more about your intended procedure.
- For more information about pricing visit our cost page.
- You can also talk to our Patient Care Team from 9 to 5 pm Monday to Friday on 1300 599 990
About Your First Consultation
- Dr Rubinstein’s Consultation fee is $300.
- A referral from your GP or specialist is essential.
- A referral helps when claiming Medicare or Private Health Insurance coverage.
- Please contact the Patient Care Team at Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery to book your consultation.
What to Bring to Your Consultation
- You are more than welcome to bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents provided.
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes.