Sometimes all the exercise in the world cannot help a body that has been stretched or is suffering torn abdominals due to pregnancy.
- In the past, mothers have simply lived with the post-pregnancy changes to their bodies. However, modern plastic surgery procedures now give many women the chance to regain their pre-pregnancy bodies. These advances include smoothing contours, improving ptosis, as well as repairing damage such as abdominal hernias and diastasis recti.
- Some leading specialist plastic surgeons now bring a collection of plastic surgery procedures together to create a personalised body contouring procedure referred to as the mummy makeover.
What is a Mummy Makeover?
A mummy makeover is a combination of plastic surgery procedures that can help restore the post-pregnancy body. There is no typical combination of procedures as these are generally tailored to the patient’s individual needs.
Mummy makeovers combine plastic surgery procedures that address issues including:
- Restoring breast shape
- Correcting sagging breasts (also known as breast ptosis
- Address nipple size or shape
- Correct sagging stomach skin and stubborn abdominal fat
- Repair abdominal muscle issues
- Address issues with urinary incontinence, vaginal dryness, or laxity
Most Common Mummy Makeover Combine Procedures
The most commonly combined mummy makeover procedures are breast and tummy tuck surgery. However, there are a number of surgeries that can be combined to create the preferred outcome. Surgeries that can be combined for a mummy makeover procedure include:
- Breast surgery
- Lift (with or without implants)
- Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)
- Body contouring liposuction/liposculpture
- Arm lift (brachioplasty)
- Inner thigh lift
- Vaginal tightening (MonaLisa Touch laser)
Mummy Makeover Procedure
A mummy makeover procedure is a complex surgery that is a highly complex series of procedures. It should be undertaken by one of Australia’s top plastic surgeons, like Dr Craig Rubinstein. Further, a mummy makeover may need to be performed over several procedures, depending on the outcome. This is something that would need to be discussed with your surgeon during your consult.
Breast Implants: Considering Breast Augmentation Surgery? Get the guide!
Considering Tummy Tuck Surgery? Download our handy Guide.
When Should I Consider a Mummy Makeover?
If you have finished having children and are concerned about your post-pregnancy body, then a mummy makeover procedure might be a good option for you. Further, mummy makeover is generally suitable for mothers of all ages – consult your plastic surgeon for more information. Post-pregnancy body concerns can include:
- Lower back issues since giving birth
- You are suffering from abdominal issues including diastasis recti
- Abdominal sagging and fat deposits that are not improved with exercise or diet
- Breasts that have become large, heavy and/or ptotic (sagging) or have lost volume after breastfeeding
- Flabby upper arms that do not improve with exercise
- Vaginal laxity or dryness
Mummy Makeover Scarring
All surgery leaves scarring, as will mummy makeover procedures. The level and location of your scarring will depend on the procedures undertaken. However experienced surgeons like Dr Rubinstein are extremely careful about scar placement and minimisation, with surgical scars generally fading over time.
Dr Rubinstein also conducts follow-up treatments using a Fraxel Laser and Healite II to minimise your scars, with most scars being barely visible after 12 months.
Mummy Makeover, Breastfeeding and Future Pregnancy
Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can drastically change your body. As a result, it is recommended that you wait until after you have finished having children before pursuing a mummy makeover.
However, if you wish to pursue a mummy makeover with breast augmentation and are considering breast feeding in the future, it is important to remember that many women are unable to breast feed, regardless of whether they have undergone a breast augmentation procedure or not. However, a breast augmentation may affect your ability to breast feed, especially if you decide to have an incision around the nipple.
Mummy Makeover and Breast Screening
If you are considering any type of breast augmentation as part of your mummy makeover you maybe wondering if it will affect future breast screening. In general, breast implants cause very little, if any, interference with a mammography. However, it is important that you discuss your risk of breast cancer with your plastic surgeon and GP, especially if you have a first degree relative with a history of cancer.
All women who have had breast implants should inform their radiographer so tests can be adjusted as needed.
Mummy Makeover Cost
The cost of mummy makeover surgery can vary across Australia and Melbourne. It depends entirely on the surgeon you choose, where you have your operation, the quality of your breast implant, etc.
Often sites that post the estimated cost of a mummy makeover surgery do not include all the related and necessary expenses. As a result, you may end up paying more than you expected. Dr Rubinstein never recommends shopping for low cost surgery as it is unlikely that a FRACS level plastic surgeon will be performing the procedure. It is important to do your research before deciding on a plastic surgeon for your chosen procedure. Further, revision surgery is costly and is not guaranteed to fix the issue you experienced with your initial surgery, if you chose to explore cheaper surgical options.
It is always important to pursue plastic surgery based on skill, not cost.
The Next Steps
- Visit the FAQs pages and patient reviews to learn more about your intended procedure.
How to Book your Initial Consultation
- Email us or call on (03) 8849 1444 to arrange your consultation with Dr Rubinstein
- A referral from your GP or from your specialist is helpful but not essential
What to Bring to your Surgeon Consultation
- You are more than welcome to bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents provided
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes
ISAPS. December 2018. What Exactly Is a Mommy Makeover [online]. Available from: https://www.isaps.org/blog/exactly-mommy-makeover/ [accessed 18 December 2018]
ASAPS. December 2018. Are You Wondering What a Mummy Makeover Involves? [online]. Available from: https://aestheticplasticsurgeons.org.au/news/are-you-wondering-what-a-mummy-makeover-involves/ [accessed 18 December 2018]
ASAPS. December 2018. The Baby Body Can Be Fixed With a Mummy Makeover [online]. Available from: https://aestheticplasticsurgeons.org.au/news/baby-body-can-fixed-mummy-makeover/ [accessed 18 December 2018]
American Society of Plastic Surgeons. December 2018. What is mommy makeover? [online] Available from: https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/mommy-makeover [accessed 18 December 2018]