Breast Procedures – Dr Craig Rubinstein, Melbourne, Australia
Do you have underdeveloped breasts? Are you bothered by the appearance of your sagging breasts following pregnancy or significant weight fluctuations? Do you have overly large breasts that impair your daily activities as well as good quality of life? You may benefit from undergoing a breast surgery procedure.
Dr Craig Rubinstein MBBS FRACS (Plas) is a top Specialist Plastic Surgeon in the Eastern Suburbs of Melbourne, Australia. Dr Craig performs a range of personalised and precise reconstructive and cosmetic breast surgery procedures including:
Download Our Breast Surgery Guide
What is Breast Surgery?
Breast surgery refers to a group of procedures aimed at enhancing the appearance of your breasts, correcting breast deformities, or reconstructing your breasts after surgical removal. The type of breast surgery that your breast surgeon will perform will depend on your condition, body type, and aesthetic goals.
What are the Benefits of Breast Surgery
If performed by a top surgeon, breast surgery can offer the following benefits:
- Breast contour that is in proportion with the rest of your body
- Improved body posture
- Improved breast appearance
- Improved quality of life
- Increased self-confidence
- Lower risk of skin irritation, infection, and other physical discomforts
- More clothing options
- Positive outlook in life
Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Surgery?
To ensure that you will receive the best breast surgery, your breast surgeon will assess your condition, health history, amount of breast tissue, lifestyle, and desired cosmetic goals during your consultation. In general, you are a good candidate for breast surgery if:
- You are in good overall health.
- You are mentally stable.
- You don’t have a bleeding or clotting disorder.
- You don’t have an extreme degree of breast sagging.
- You have breast sagging due to aging, pregnancy, breastfeeding, or significant weight loss.
- You have low self-esteem due to the appearance of your breasts.
- You have complications associated with primary breast surgery.
- You have a good amount of breast tissue.
- You have inverted nipples.
- You have overly large breasts that cause skin irritation, redness, infection, back pain, headaches, and other discomforts.
- You have realistic expectations regarding the procedure.
- You want to replace your breast implants.
- Your breasts are too small.
- You’re willing to commit to a healthy lifestyle after surgery.
What are the Most Popular Breast Surgery Procedures
The following are the well-known breast procedures:
- Breast augmentation: This surgical procedure makes use of breast implants to enlarge your breasts.
- Breast lift: This procedure involves reshaping and lifting your breast by removing excess skin and fat.
- Breast reduction: This procedure involves the removal of excess fat, skin, and breast tissue to achieve a breast contour that is in proportion with your body.
- Breast implant revision surgery: The surgery is done to replace your old, aging implants.
- Breast implant removal: This surgical procedure is performed to correct complications of your primary breast augmentation.
- Inverted Nipple Correction: This procedure reshapes your areola and nipple so that the nipple comes out from your breast.
- Mummy makeover surgery: This is a combination of procedures aimed at improving the appearance of your breasts and abdomen after pregnancy.
Recovery after Breast Surgery
It is important to keep in mind that the recovery time of breast surgery may vary from patient to patient. Some patients may require shorter downtime while others will take several weeks to recover.
The length of your recovery will greatly depend on several factors such as the extent and type of your surgery, your healing ability, your body type, and your treatment goals. Immediately after your surgery, you may experience soreness, bruising, and pain on your surgical site.
These discomforts can be alleviated by taking pain relievers and anti-inflammatories. To support your healing breasts, you may need to wear a support bra or compression garments.
In addition, you will be advised to prevent strenuous activities to avoid tension on your suture lines.
How much is a Breast Procedure? Costs and Prices
Just like recovery time, the costs and prices of breast surgery may also vary. This will greatly depend on several factors such as your surgeon’s fees, anesthesiologist’s fees, hospital fees, type of surgery and anaesthesia used, and your desired breast surgery results. To get a detailed estimate of the total costs of your procedure, schedule a consultation with a renowned cosmetic surgeon.
What are the risks of Breast Surgery?
The following are the risks associated with a breast procedure:
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia such as skin rashes and difficulty breathing
- Capsular contracture
- Changes in skin sensation
- Delayed wound healing
- Implant leakage or rupture
- Increasing pain at the surgical site
- Numbness in one or both breasts
- Possibility of revision surgery
- Pus draining from your wound
- Rippling of the implant
- Severe swelling
- Skin discoloration
- Skin loss
- Sutures that protrude through the skin
- Unwanted scarring
- Wound dehiscence
- Wrong or faulty position of the implant
See the page on Risks and Complications of Plastic Surgery for more detail
Breast Complications Glossary
- Anesthesia – Drugs used during a surgical procedure to relieve pain and other discomforts.
- Capsular contracture – A complication of breast augmentation that is characterized by the formation of a tight scar around the implant.
- Hematoma – Visible pooling of blood under your skin.
- Revision surgery – A procedure that involves replacement, repositioning, or removal of breast implants to correct poor cosmetic results and complications.
- Rippling of the implant – Visible folds and wrinkles in your skin due to improper implant placement.
- Seroma – Build-up of body fluids at the surgical site.
- Wound dehiscence – Partial or total separation of wound edges after it has been sutured.
Celebrities that may have had Breast Surgery
Well-known celebrities that are rumoured to have had breast surgery are the following:
- Demi Moore
- Drew Barrymore
- Gisele Bundchen
- Jesinta Franklin
- Kaley Cuoco
- Kate Hudson
- Kelly Rowland
- Kourtney Kardashian
- Pamela Anderson
- Victoria Beckham
- Yolanda Hadid
FAQ about Breast Procedures
Will breast surgery increase your risk of breast cancer?
Breast surgery will not increase your risk of getting breast cancer. In addition, having breast implants will not hinder the detection of breast tumours.
How many months should you delay pregnancy after having breast implants?
It is recommended to postpone pregnancy for at least 6 months after your surgery. This allows your breasts to adjust to their new shape and size.
Can you have breast implants if you have sagging skin?
This will depend on the degree of skin sagging. If you have extreme sagging of the skin, another procedure may be needed to lift your breasts so that they appear younger and well-defined. Breast implants are recommended for patients with a mild degree of skin sagging. During your consultation with a top surgeon, your breast condition will be first assessed if you are a good candidate for breast implants.
Best Blogs about Breast Surgery
- Implant CC Vs Bra Cup Size
- Recovery After Breast Augmentation
- A Mini Boob Job, What Is It?
- Best Solutions for Saggy Breasts
- Scar Massage after Breast Surgery
About Dr Craig Rubinstein
Dr Craig Rubinstein is one of Melbourne’s Best Specialist Plastic Surgeons for breast and tummy surgery. He has been rated as a Top 3 Plastic Surgeon in Melbourne and rated a Top 5 Plastic Surgeon on the ‘Best in Australia’ website.
Dr Rubinstein offers women personalised abdominoplasty surgery and all forms of cosmetic breast surgery. He uses only the highest quality breast implants and is renowned for his natural-looking, long-lasting results.
BOOK A CONSULTATION TODAY 1300 264 811
Next Steps in Your Surgical Journey
Want more information about your Procedure?
- Download a Free Procedure Guide on your chosen surgery.
- Visit the FAQs and read patient reviews to learn more about your intended procedure.
- For more information about pricing and payment methods, please visit our Surgery Payment page.
- You can also talk to our Patient Care Team from 9 to 5 pm Monday to Friday on 1300 264 811
About Your First Consultation
- Dr Rubinstein’s Consultation fee is $300.
- A referral from your GP or your specialist is helpful but not essential.
- You need a medicare referral in order to claim any medicare benefits or Health Insurance for plastic surgery,
- Please contact the Patient Care Team at Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery today to book your consultation.
What to Bring to your Consultation
- You are more than welcome to bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents provided.
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes.
*Disclaimer: Individual results can vary significantly from patient to patient. The information we provide is general. For further information on what to expect for your preferred procedures, arrange to see one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for a full history and surgical consultation. Read further information about surgical outcome variability on our Disclaimer page.