Breast Augmentation or Boob Job in Melbourne, Australia
Breast Augmentation surgery or ‘boob job’ is a very popular procedure performed by Melbourne Specialist Plastic Surgeon Dr Craig Rubinstein. This breast enlargement or enhancement procedure is usually done with Silicone Breast Implants but occasionally with your own fat being transferred or grafted to your breasts (known as a Natural Breast Augmentation or Autologous Breast Augmentation).
Breast Augmentation using breast implants continues to be the most popular plastic surgery procedure in Australia, and throughout the world. There are various, unique reasons why women around Australia seek out breast enlargement. However, some of the common reasons include:
- To enhance smaller breasts and make them larger and more shapely
- To create a better-looking cleavage
- Wanting to feel more confident and beautiful
If you would like to enhance or improve your natural breasts, breast augmentation surgery might be the procedure for you.
Considering Breast Augmentation Surgery? Download the guide today!
Are You A Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
Choosing breast augmentation surgery is a deeply personal decision. It is important to have a private consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon, like Dr Craig Rubinstein, to determine if this is the right procedure for you. However, you can consider the following questions before your consultation:
- Do you dislike having small breasts or feel they are out of proportion with the rest of your physique?
- Would you prefer better cleavage?
- Are you unhappy with changes to your breasts post-pregnancy or post-weight loss, including sagging?
- Do you feel you have asymmetrical breasts?
- Are you seeking breast augmentation to boost your confidence or reduce self-confidence?
- Do you want a breast augmentation to feel more comfortable in different kinds of clothing?
- Would you like to improve your figure and overall body proportions?
Your Breast Implant Options
While breast augmentation can be performed using fat grafting techniques, the most common way to perform an augmentation is using breast implants.
There are several types of breast implants available including:
- Silicone – the most popular
- Saline – less common but used in the USA more than Australia.
- Round – the most popular
- Anatomical or shaped implants
- Smooth – the most popular choice
- Textured – much less popular now
Dr Craig Rubinstein will discuss the different implant options with you.
Before and After Breast Augmentation Photos
View some of Dr Rubinstein’s previous breast augmentation in the full past patient gallery.
How Long do Breast Implants usually Last?
The life span of breast implants varies from patient to patient. However, many patients replace their implants around 10+ years after surgery.
A breast implant revision operation is most likely to be required at some future stage based on several factors including:
- Wishing to change implant size
- Wanting to have them removed
- Implant damage or rupture
- Other Implant Complications
- Weight fluctuations – weight gain and loss stretching the skin
- After Pregnancy – breast shape has changed
- Smoking affecting your skin quality and recovery
- Other Health Issues
In this video Dr Craig Rubinstein answers your questions about Breast Augmentation
Breast Augmentation Surgical Techniques
There are several different incision techniques for this Breast Augmentation with Implants
1. Transaxillary Incision
Also known as the “Armpit” incision, this is a technique in which the incision is not made on the chest or breast tissue but under the armpit for those prone to keloid scarring. Popular for Asian Patient Augmentation.
2. Periareolar Incision
This incision is made under the lower half of the areola.
3. Inframammary or IMF Incision
This incision is made under the breast, in the breast crease. It is the most popular method and the one most often used by Dr Rubinstein.
Where are the Breast Implants Placed?
There are three different placements for breast implants: under the muscle, over the muscle, and a dual-plane technique.
‘Under the muscle’ is the preferred location for the implant as it generally results in a more stable implant that is less likely to cause complications like breast sagging (ptosis)
It is also associated with more natural-looking surgical results.
Breast Augmentation Surgical Procedure with Dr Craig
Dr Rubinstein only performs Breast Augmentation Surgery with patients under a general anaesthetic in a safe, sterile hospital environment.
After the incision is made, he then inserts the implant using a Kellar Funnel (see picture) for added sterility. A Kellar Funnel is a medical device that allows the insertion of an implant into the breast pocket without handling, helping prevent implant rupture or contamination.
Once Dr Rubinstein has inserted the implant he closes with dissolvable stitches and the incisions are covered with a waterproof dressing. You will also be fitted with an appropriate, soft, crop top bra.
A normal augmentation procedure can take from 1-2 hours, though the length of time can be dependant on the skill of the surgeon.
Does a Breast Augmentation Hurt?
Pain is subjective and all patients are different. However, there is generally an element of pain with all invasive surgeries, regardless of whether they are general or plastic surgery procedures. Dr Rubinstein will use a range of methods to help reduce or limit patient discomfort including general anaesthetic, numbing anaesthetic, and pain blocks for post-surgical discomfort.
Breast Surgery Risks and Complications
Every surgery has risks and complications can occur.
Please visit our Plastic Surgery Risks page to find more information on general surgical risks and plastic surgery risks.
Recovery after Breast Augmentation
Most patients spend 1-2 weeks initially recovering before graduating to modified activities or easy exercise. This does not include heavy lifting or competitive sports.
Many patients can return to work, depending on their occupation, within a few weeks. This is a general recovery outline, though, and differs from patient to patient. It is best to discuss your specific recovery outline, based on your health and lifestyle, during your consultation.
How can Scars be Minimised after Surgery?
- All surgery leaves scars, including plastic surgery procedures like breast augmentation. However experienced surgeons like Dr Rubinstein are extremely careful about scar placement and minimisation, with surgical scars generally fading over time.
- Dr Rubinstein’s Team also conducts follow-up treatments using Lasers and Healite II to minimise your scars, with most scars being barely visible after 12 months.
How Much Does Breast Augmentation Cost?
The cost of breast augmentation surgery can vary across Melbourne and Australia. It depends entirely on the surgeon you choose, where you have your operation, the quality of your breast implant and time in theatre,
Often websites that post the estimated cost of a breast augmentation surgery do NOT include all the related and necessary expenses. As a result, you may end up paying more than you expected. Dr Rubinstein never recommends shopping for low-cost surgery as it is unlikely that an experienced FRACS specialist plastic surgeon will be performing the procedure. It is important to do your research before deciding on a surgeon for your chosen procedure. Further, revision surgery is costly and is not guaranteed to fix the issue you experienced with your initial surgery if you choose to explore cheaper surgical options.
It is always important to pursue plastic surgery based on skill, not cost.
Visit Prices for Surgery and Payment Plan Options for more information.
Will Medicare Cover Breast Augmentation Surgery?
- No, Medicare will NOT cover most primary breast augmentation procedures if they are classified as a purely cosmetic procedure. Some patients with congenital defects like tuberous breasts may be eligible.
Will Private Health Insurance Cover my surgery?
- In cases where breast augmentation procedures are reconstructive, then your private health insurance may cover some of your procedure. However, most breast surgeries are classified as cosmetic and are not eligible for rebates. It is best to discuss this with your plastic surgeon or doctor.
FAQS for Breast Augmentation Surgery
Will Breast Surgery Affect Breastfeeding Later in Life?
- The answer to this question depends on what type of breast surgery you choose. For safety and best results, it is often best to avoid incisions around the nipple-areola complex, as well as breast implant placement above the muscle.
- We recommend placing breast implants be below the muscle and incisions made under the breast. This allows for a lower chance of nipple sensation loss and best results if you are planning on breastfeeding children later in life.
- It is important to remember that many women are unable to breastfeed, regardless of whether they have undergone a breast augmentation procedure or not. However, breast augmentation may affect your ability to breastfeed, especially if you decide to have an incision around the nipple.
- It is also possible that you may experience a slight loss of nipple sensation, however, these side effects are rare when using “under the muscle” implants.
Will having Breast Implants affect Future Breast Screening?
- In general, breast implants cause very little, if any, interference with mammography. However, you must discuss your risk of breast cancer with your plastic surgeon and GP, especially if you have a first degree relative with a history of cancer. All women who have had breast implants should inform their radiographer so tests can be adjusted as needed.
What is the Minimum Age for Breast Implants?
- The minimum age for breast augmentation surgery in Australia is 18 years old. The majority of women who seek out this surgery fall in the age range of 20 to 50 years old, with the most popular age group being 22 to 38.
About Dr Craig Rubinstein
Dr Craig Rubinstein is one of Melbourne’s Best Specialist Plastic Surgeons for breast and tummy surgery. He has been rated as a Top 3 Plastic Surgeon in Melbourne and rated a Top 5 Plastic Surgeon on the ‘Best in Australia’ website.
Dr Rubinstein offers women personalised abdominoplasty surgery and all forms of cosmetic breast surgery. He uses only the highest quality breast implants and is renowned for his natural-looking, long-lasting results.
BOOK A CONSULTATION TODAY 1300 264 811
Next Steps in Your Surgical Journey
Want more information about your Procedure?
- Download a Free Procedure Guide on your chosen surgery.
- Visit the FAQs and read patient reviews to learn more about your intended procedure.
- For more information about pricing and payment methods, please visit our Surgery Payment page.
- You can also talk to our Patient Care Team from 9 to 5 pm Monday to Friday on 1300 264 811
About Your First Consultation
- Dr Rubinstein’s Consultation fee is $300.
- A referral from your GP or your specialist is helpful but not essential.
- You need a medicare referral in order to claim any medicare benefits or Health Insurance for plastic surgery,
- Please contact the Patient Care Team at Coco Ruby Plastic Surgery today to book your consultation.
What to Bring to your Consultation
- You are more than welcome to bring a friend or relative to help discuss the information and your choices.
- Ensure you also take a lot of notes and thoroughly examine the documents provided.
- Please be aware you may need to undress for a physical exam so wear simple clothes.
*Disclaimer: Individual results can vary significantly from patient to patient. The information we provide is general. For further information on what to expect for your preferred procedures, arrange to see one of our Specialist Plastic Surgeons for a full history and surgical consultation. Read further information about surgical outcome variability on our Disclaimer page.