Breast Implant Removal Surgery & Enbloc Removal in Melbourne, Australia
- Are you unhappy with your Breast Implants or Augmentation results?
- Have you changed your mind about having Breast Implants?
- Are you concerned about Breast Implant related Illnesses like BII or BIA-ALCL?
Breast Implant Removal Surgery, Explantation Surgery or Enbloc Removal of both the Breast Capsule & Implants is performed by Dr Craig Rubinstein, Melbourne Specialist Plastic Surgeon. If you do NOT feel comfortable consulting with your original surgeon, it is important to get a second opinion from an experienced specialist plastic surgeon.
What is Breast Implant Removal Surgery?
Breast implant removal or explantation surgery removes the breast implants with or without the surrounding breast capsule.
After the implant removal, you can consider breast revision surgery techniques like a Breast Lift or Fat Transfer to Breasts to create a more pleasing final result. Options and outcomes for this procedure depend on existing breast tissue and the elasticity of your skin (Skin Laxity).
What is Enbloc Breast Implant Removal?
Enbloc Removal or Enbloc Explantation involves removing the Breast Implant complete with it’s surrounding scar tissue or capsule. This is a preferred technique for those patients with a ruptured implant or concerned with silicon leakage of the implant. Many patients with symptoms of Breast Implant Illness (BII) or concerns about BIA-ALCL and Textured Implants seek an enbloc removal or complete capsulectomy.
Common Reasons for wanting Breast Implant Removal Surgery
Most breast implant surgery patients will need to undergo additional breast surgery in their lifetime (revision surgery, replacement or removal).
There are a wide variety of reasons women seek breast implant removal including:
- A prior, botched procedure or a poor surgical result from overseas or cheap cosmetic doctor surgery that needs to be corrected by a specialist surgeon
- A change in your lifestyle, bodyweight or appearance goals
- Breast Implant Surgery Complications
- Capsular contracture
- Capsular calcification
- Implant rupture
- Breast implant deflation
- Implant leakage
- Breast implant wrinkling
- Excessive movement of the breast implant or “animation”
- An allergic reaction to the breast implant
- Infection or bleeding after surgery
- Suspicions or recent diagnosis of breast cancer
- Aches or Pain caused by breast implants
- Ageing implants – Breast implants DO have a lifespan (as do all medical devices).
Why some patients what their Breast Implants out
- They don’t like implants – It can be difficult for patients to FULLY envision what their surgery results will look like or feel like
- They didn’t get what they wanted – Sometimes it’s simply they DID NOT CHOOSE the most QUALIFIED TYPE of Surgeon(s) for their procedure
- Other times they simply didn’t recognise how having larger breasts and breast implants would impact their lifestyle, clothing choices and exercising habits
Things to CONSIDER before your consultation for Breast Implant Removal:
- Are your breast implants causing you pain?
- Have you given your surgery results at least 12 months healing time to settle (allowing for swelling to subside)?
- Have your breasts unusually hardened?
- Are you unhappy with the APPEARANCE of your breast implants?
- Has swelling fully subsided and bruising resolved?
- Do you want to return to life with smaller breasts or more similar to how your breasts looked before you got your implants?
- Have you noticed breast rippling or movement?
- Are your implants moving or breasts ‘bottoming out’?
- Have you lost your cleavage or do you have a uniboob look?
- Did you give your original surgeon a chance to rectify the situation (if they are a FRACS qualified specialist)?
Need Breast Implant Removal Surgery? Download this detailed Guide
Need Breast Implant Remove & Replace Surgery?
About Breast Implant Removal Surgery (Explantation Surgery)
Breast Implant Removal involves careful dissection of the breast to remove the implant, some or all of the surrounding breast capsule and on occasion, some leaked implant contents.
Recovery After Breast Implant Removal Surgery
Is very similar to recovery after Breast Augmentation or Breast Lift Surgery
Cost of Breast Implant Removal Surgery
- Breast Revision surgery can be more expensive than your primary (original) implant surgery. The reason is that it is more complex (more difficult) and tends to involve a lot more time in theatre.
- You may need a breast lift or other surgery to get a good result after removal. It’s a lot more complex than straight removal.
- The price will depend on your choice of Surgeon and WHAT procedures and techniques might help.
Further Reading – Medical References
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. November 2018. What is breast implant removal surgery? [online] Available from: https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/breast-implant-removal [accessed 22 November 2018]
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons. November 2018. What is breast implant revision surgery? [online]. Available from: https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/breast-implant-revision [accessed 22 November 2018]