Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty surgery is one of the top five most popular cosmetic surgery procedures in the world. Despite its popularity finding a price for this procedure without booking a face to face appointment with a surgeon can prove to be very difficult. This is due to the fact that like a lot of things there is a major price variance when it comes to getting a Tummy Tuck. This is because there are multiple factors to take into account, from the qualifications of the surgeon and the technique they use to where your surgery is carried out.
The following information will help break down the different price points to give you a better understanding of what you are actually paying for when you get a Tummy Tuck in Australia.
It is not as simple as saying that a tummy tuck will cost anywhere from $10,500 to upwards of $18,000, while these numbers are accurate, it does not give you the whole picture.
A low-cost procedure ($10,500 – $14,000) might look appealing on paper, it’s the cheaper option but there are reasons it’s the cheapest option;
- Typically Tummy tucks performed in this price range are not performed by a Plastic surgeon but rather a general surgeon or possibly even a GP without RACS recognition.
- It might not be performed in a hospital but rather in a clinic backroom using ‘awake’ or “twilight’ anaesthetic.
- Your surgery might not be fully customised. If it’s not tailored specifically to you and your needs and wants you can end up with results you’re not satisfied with.
- Your ‘Surgeon’ may not have the rights needed to admit you to a hospital should something not go as planned.
- The cost is most likely not all-inclusive you can end up with large out-of-pocket costs.
- Your care after surgery could be of a low standard, you might not receive recovery aids or tips or instructions on how to manage and minimise your scarring.
A Tummy Tuck in the mid-range ($14,000-$18,000) might not look as appealing if you are only looking at the price but what you are really paying for is an experienced FRACS* Plastic Surgeon. However, costs in this price point can vary depending on multiple factors
However, surgery costs can vary depending on what you need, your Surgeon’s qualifications other factors such as:
- Hernias in the abdominal region.
- Potential underlying muscle damage.
- Quality of post-operative care.
- Post-surgery recovery aids, from compression garments to scar recovery.
At the highest price point, you can pay upward of $18,000, at this price you are not only paying for an experienced FRACS* Plastic Surgeon, but also a surgeon that specialises and has extensive knowledge in abdominal procedures.
- Your Abdominoplasty surgery is tailored and fully customised.
- It is expertly planned.
- There is transparency when it comes to cost. You know exactly what you’re paying for and out-of-pocket costs are minimal, if at all.
- Your post-operative care is included, from garments, information on scar minimisation and follow up appointments.
However, the range in this price point is still varied and different factors can affect the cost. Surgery fees, surgical complexity and follow up care can all impact the cost.
*Note* FRACS stands for ‘Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons’. This title is only given to specialist surgeons that have completed at least 12 years of surgical and medical education, with a minimum of 5 years specialist post-graduate training.
Important factors that affect the cost of a Tummy Tuck
The cost of an Abdominoplasty depends on multiple factors. It is not just your surgeons level of experience, but also on what you want and what you need, this includes but is not limited to;
-Abdominal muscle repair.
6 Factors that affect the cost of an Abdominoplasty
Everyone knows the five W’s (Who, What, Where, When and Why) These are five of the six factors you need to take into account when looking at different Tummy Tuck prices, the last is How.
WHO will be performing your surgery?
- Are they experienced in this type of surgery?
- Have they done this before, can they show you examples of their past work?
- Do they have professional accreditations and qualifications?
WHAT is included in your surgery quote?
Not all quotes include all the costs you will incur for your Tummy Tuck surgery. They might allude to certain aspects, such as recovery aids, post-operative care, medication, surgery garments, facility fees, anaesthetic cost and others.
It’s important that you carefully review your quote and clear up any grey areas you might have to make sure you aren’t hit with unexpected additions to your bill post-surgery.
WHEN will your surgery take place?
If your surgery is booked several months (or more) in advance, you need to be aware that prices and Medicare rebate criteria can change. We recommend speaking to our Patient Care Team about rapidly-changing hospital fees to see if you could be affected.
WHERE will your surgery be performed?
Will your surgery take place in a hospital under General Anaesthetic with an overnight hospital stay for observation and pain management or will you be “awake” during your Tummy Tuck using local anaesthetic and sedatives in a clinic backroom or day clinic?
While the second option will be less of a blow to your wallet it puts you in a higher risk category and can lead to increased discomfort and chance of complications.
WHY are you having the procedure?
Are you having a Tummy Tuck procedure, solely for cosmetic reasons or is it a medically-indicated surgery?
If you are having your Abdominoplasty surgery for corrective/medical reasons it might increase the cost of your procedure as it may be more complicated than a standard Tummy Tuck.
HOW will your procedure be planned and performed?
How long is your Tummy Tuck procedure going to take? Has your surgeon fully customised, planned and tailored your surgery to you?
The estimated surgical time for Abdominoplasty surgery is 2-4 hours depending on the complexity of the procedure. In saying that theatre time required may vary from this estimate as there are many variations of a Tummy Tuck procedure.
Tummy Tucks that are more complex need more planning before surgery, they also require more surgical skill and potentially need more theatre time, all these factors can result in a higher cost.
The above information is an estimate price guide for Tummy Tuck surgery in Melbourne. To get customised prices and accurate tailored information and pricing you should book a no-obligation appointment with a qualified surgeon.
Premium: prices typically range from $18,000 and higher
Read about our top Melbourne Tummy Tuck Surgeons and ask us about others that also have FRACS recognition and trusted patient reviews.
Choosing a qualified Abdominoplasty Surgeon
- It’s important to remember that all cosmetic surgery is invasive and has an element of risk.
- Surgery should always be planned, customised and performed by an expert. This reduces risks and need for revision surgery.
- Everyone is different and every surgery will be different. Never accept a one-size-fits-all approach.
- A procedure that is customised to you is essential for successful, long-lasting result.
If you feel like the Tummy Tuck could be the life changing procedure for you, contact a Patient Care Coordinator on (03) 8849 1444 or let us contact you by submitting an enquiry form below.